After a one year hiatus, the ONHops BrewOff is back at the OFVC for another round of exciting and friendly competition highlighting Ontario grown hops and Ontario craft beer!
Registration is now open for the 2022 competition. This year’s beer style is: (BJCP 18B) American Pale Ale
Overall Impression from the BJCP Style Guidelines: A pale, refreshing and hoppy ale, yet with sufficient supporting malt to make the beer balanced and drinkable. The clean hop presence can reflect classic or modern American or New World hop varieties with a wide range of characteristics. An average-strength hop-forward pale American craft beer, generally balanced to be more accessible than modern American IPAs.
For complete style information, rules, critical dates and to register, please visit the competition webpage at: https://www.ofvc.ca/ONHOPS_about.html
New for 2022 – Pre-Judging and Public Judging:
The ONHops BrewOff has adopted a new set of timelines and judging procedures to ensure the competition is able to run either virtually or in person for 2022. Pre-judging will take place during the week of January 14th. This will determine the winners of the competition. A public judging of the top four beer submissions will take place at the Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Convention at 14:00 on February 23 in front of a live audience. Judges will re-evaluate and discuss the top four beer submissions. This is an educational event where the audience can ask questions and participate in a hop rub featuring all the hop submissions.
All competitors are invited to attend and participate in the public judging. Be prepared to discuss hop production and brewing practices with the audience and others in the industry. Winners will be advised in confidence prior to the public judging and asked to attend. They will receive their awards at the Farmers and Friends Gala Event immediately following the public judging.
If it becomes necessary to cancel the public judging due to pandemic concerns, participants will be informed, and the winners will receive their awards by mail.
- Registration: Organizers must receive completed entry form and registration fee by 16:00, October 29th. Registration will close once 18 entrants have been accepted.
- Hops delivery: Hop growers must email the competition (firstname.lastname@example.org) to confirm hops have been delivered to the brewer. Brewer must email the competition organizers to confirm hops have been received.
- Shipped / Delivered entries accepted (Simcoe): By 16:00, January 14th.
- Private Judging: Takes place the week of January 14th (Date TBD).
- Public Judging and Awards: 14:00-18:00, February 23rd.
The ONHops Brew Off (formally The Great Ontario-Hopped Craft Beer Competition) was conceived to bring together Ontario hop producers and the most significant end-user of the crop, the Ontario brewing industry. The goals are to:
- Create a credible venue for hop growers and brewers to work together and encourage commerce.
- Introduce the next generation of Ontario brewers to the hop growing community.
- Promote the use of Ontario-grown hops.