The Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Convention will be held February 22 and 23, 2017 at the Scotiabank Convention Centre in Niagara Falls. For details visit www.ofvc.ca. In addition to the large trade show and a wide range of general and specific horticultural topics, this year there are a few sessions that will be of particular interest to ginseng growers including several soil and crop nutrition topics, soil pest management and nematode management.
The two hour sessions that will highlight soil nutrition and soil health include:
- Potassium (K), Magnesium (Mg), & Calcium (Ca): Revisiting the Basics (Feb. 22 am)
- Soil Health (includes improving soil health through cover crops and amendments) (Feb. 22 pm)
- 4Rs Nutrient Stewardship for Vegetables (applying fertilizers at the right source, rate, time and place) (Feb. 23 pm)
The soil pest and nematode management sessions will be of particular interest to ginseng growers because they will feature techniques to reduce soil pests beyond fumigation.
Thursday, February 23 am
Soil Pest Management
- 9:30 Soil Fumigation – Benefits and Limitations Dr. Sean Westerveld, OMAFRA
- 10:00 Can Pre-Plant Incorporation of Organic Amendments Suppress Plant-Parasitic Nematodes and Root Diseases? Dr. Tom Forge, AAFC
- 10:30 Anaerobic Soil Disinfestation for Integrated Soil-Borne Pest Management in Horticultural Crops Dr. Joji Muramoto, University of California, USA
- 11:00 Soil Fumigation and Sustainable Soil Management: What are the Impacts on Biological Soil Health? Dr. Amanda McWhirt, University of Arkansas, USA
Thursday, February 23 pm
- 2:00 Symptoms and Management of Nematode Damage in Vegetables and Small Fruits Dr. Guy Bélair, AAFC
- 2:30 The Potential for Managing Plant-Parasitic Nematodes with Cover Crops Dr. Tom Forge, AAFC
- 3:00 Velum Prime: A New Tool for Nematode Management Andrew Dornan, Bayer Crop Science
- 3:30 Where Plant-Parasitic Nematodes Inhabit the Soil Profile and How to Sample for Them Michael Celetti, OMAFRA
Other session of interest include Irrigation, Business, Zero Waste and Food Safety. For the full speaker schedule, trade show participants, and to register visit the OFVC website at www.ofvc.ca.